Saturday, December 27, 2008

I've been busy

I have worked very diligently on a few crafts that I have been wanting to do.

First up a crochet blanket that I have been wanting to make for about 5 years now. When I first learned how to crochet I started with blanket. That was the first mistake. I couldn't read patterns very well at the time and failed to really try. Needless to say, I used the wrong yarn, the wrong hook, the wrong gauge and the wrong finish size. The only thing I did get right was the actual stitch. Well I didn't realize that I hadn't done what the pattern said until about a year later when I actually learned how to read patterns. I love the twin size blanket even if it is all wrong, it sits on my couch and I cuddle in it all the time. Anyway I decided on Christmas night to make the one that I wanted to start with, the right way. I told Nick to pop in a movie and I would crochet. I used Homespun yarn in two different colors (waterfall and modern) held together with a Q hook, with single crochet in back loop. I finished it last night, they are so fast with such a large hook. It took a total of about 6 hours to make. The finished size is 45"x45" (supposed to be 60"x45"). The only thing wrong with this one is the finished size, but I didn't want to go buy more yarn, I only wanted to use what I had. It is just the right size to snuggle up and read.

DSCN1261 DSCN1262

Last night when I finished the blanket I decided to make a Scoodie using Vegbee's tutorial. I went and found some black fleece, and some cotton that I liked, but didn't really know what to do with. It sewed together really quick, but I remembered how much I hate sewing fleece. I made the scarf part about 8.5 feet long and it wraps around my neck a couple times. Nick doesn't think it looks good on me, so naturally I wore it all night (even to bed), just to be a butt to him.

DSCN1266

Today I was nosing around on Craftster and found a board that I have never seen before. It is the craft along board, where everyone crafts things and posts them for motivation and communication, but nobody sends anything (like swaps). I signed up for the de-stash along and through that I found a thread for a Rapunzel Scarf. Basically all your yarn and ribbon scraps that you hoard braided up into a long rope. I went into my closet and found all sorts of partial skeins of pink, gray and black that I could use. I ended up with a 7.5 foot scarf that is light weight, but still very warm. And Nick likes this one better.

DSCN1268 DSCN1267

I feel very accomplished, and it was all no pressure. I am so excited to be crafting for fun again. I keep dreaming about what I am going to make next. I have this bad habit of finding new more interesting things (Rapunzel Scarf) rather then crafting the things on my list. I will be working on that and hopefully getting better.

No comments: